Monday 10 December 2012

Affordable Art Fair Amsterdam


This is now a long overdue blogpost...it takes so long to get all these social media sites up and running and then to keep on top of it and personalize them and interact with followers is like a whole other full time job on top of which I've been meaning to get painting again for a very long time - that was the reason why I began this blog afterall so shame on me....


BUT... I have remained creative! About a month ago my housemate from uni came to visit me in Amsterdam and we went to the 'Affordable Art Fair'. This was such an inspiring place for me as an artist not quite in with the big names yet shall we say but trying to get my name and my work out there in the public eye to promote sales and commissions.
The Affordable Art fair is a four-day event hosting a wealth of galleries from around the Netherlands and a large array of contemporary art. It was a very inspiring and friendly atmosphere exhibiting various paintings, prints, sculptures and photography and all under €5000. It is a very simple concept, yet unique showing works of young, emerging artists (like me) alongside some of the biggest names, while the 'Unknown Talent' Exhibition provided a chance to snap up a future masterpiece.


Amongst others, some of my favourite pieces and the ones that stood out and inspired me the most, giving me the urge to get behind my easel again were these...



'New York' by Wilfred Lang, 'A Day by the Sea' by Michael Schuster, 'Plage' by Marc Harrold, 'Herfst' by Ciska van der Meer

I noticed that the ones that caught my attention were the ones using mixed media, giving their art a beautiful 3-dimensional effect - this is something I would like to introduce in my work.
 
My absolute favourite piece though at the exhibition was the photography art series called 'Plage' by Marc Harrold (pictured below: Plage 4, 6, 10 & 30). I was so drawn in by these pieces as there is so much activity simplified to the purest forms. Despite the loud subject within the art there is a lovely sense of peace from an outsider point of view as if you're sat watching from a sound proof bubble - they're just beautiful to look at.








All-in-all, a very inspiring place which I shall definitely be visiting again next year...maybe even exhibiting (this would be a dream)...

No comments:

Post a Comment